Thursday, October 21, 2010

Week 6 - Back to Knitting

So now that Rowena Bladvak's knitted project is almost done, just got to put the pieces together, and now that I'm no longer working full speed on my costuming projects, I'm back to knitting for myself.
  • I need to finish the final front half of my gorgeous Orange Malabrigo #112 Dramatic Lace Top-Down Wrap Cardigan by SweaterBabe. It requires picking up stitches along the side, part of the sleeve and top front in a specific number of stitches so it's been put on hold. I've already done the mirror image of the other side, but it's a project that I need to focus on. It also has lace panels which for the life of me I can't memorize. Also I'm afraid of blocking it as it is such a strange shape. I know it can be done, but I really need to invest in some blocking wires. Maybe CraftyDiversions will let me borrow hers? Hmm. That's a thought.
  • I also have a floating UFO of a Clapotis from gorgeous The Fibre Company Road to China that I need to work out how much more I knit until I make the decreases. Again it is a bit of math that is holding me up, but I really want to use the most of this yarn and I'd already modified the pattern to be thinner than the original. More of a scarf than a shawl.
  • I also have a great grey sweater that I've started. It's a man's sweater but it's just tooooo cute. 
    #17 Man's Cable Cardigan It came from Vogue and has in-set sleeves, but I'm going to finish it, gosh darn it.
  • Also I'd really, really like to re-organize my stash and project inventory in general. I need to take the time to really account for what I have, pictures and numberwise. I came across the Raveler aKnitOnTheSide and OMG this woman's organization skills are mesmerizing. Also I really enjoy her big Project of the Year. She's gone cold-sheep for a year! No new yarn purchases. But seriously with the gorgeous stash she has it must always feel like X-mas. Also she has pages for her goals in knitting. Again with the need for motivation. - Shoot if we're talking crazy-talk I might as well try to organize my fabric and the rest of my craft supplies/room. Seriously I neeeeeed to do this!!!
But are any of those projects, or the other little projects on my Rav project page what I've actually been working on? Nope. I just cast on for a pair of Super Simple Short Socks. And I think I might have found a great beginner-starter sock pattern. I have yet to finish those Nutkin socks, totally have no idea where in the pattern I am (Eeep!). But this pattern is so easy! However, I did not pick up the same number of sts on each side so I had to fudge. But now I know for next time. And these are my socks so I really don't care too much. But they are going really well so far. Although I think my gauge changed slightly as I keep going. Slightly tigher, but that's ok. I'm not going for the most beautiful sock here. I just want to get it done, see what I like about it, maybe make some changes, and make more. My goal (if I can keep it) is to have a quick, go-to pattern, that is mindless, productive, and keeps me interested enought to keep making them. Maybe I'll be able to progress into other sock patterns, but I really don't wear high socks. High socks may show the pattern off well, but I just don't wear them.

And while I'm back to knitting for myself I'm still working on getting my kit together for Rowena. I really want to talk about the details here, but I'll save it for the Family blog. Another week HSKSers! See you later!


No comments: